What is indigestion?
Indigestion is pain or discomfort in the upper part of your stomach.
This problem affects many people, but usually, the symptoms are quite mild.
What are the causes?
There is still some uncertainty over this, but it may be caused by stomach acid coming into contact with the sensitive, protective lining of your digestive system.
What are the symptoms of indigestion?
These are some of the symptoms to look out for:
- Bloated? – Discomfort of feeling full after you’ve eaten
- Feeling sick - Like feeling nauseated
- Passing of wind – Together with the sensation of trapped wind
- Heartburn - a burning sensation in the chest
THE AVERAGE TIME SYMPTOMS LAST IS AROUND 2.5 HOURS*
Still have questions? If so, or your symptoms are getting worse, please speak to your GP or a local pharmacist.
How can I treat indigestion?
Looking for effective ways to prevent and treat this common condition?
There are several steps your doctor might recommend to help ease your symptoms:
- Be drink aware - Cut down on your tea, coffee, sugary drinks and alcohol
- Change sleeping position – Prop your head and shoulders up in bed to help keep stomach acid down while you sleep
- Avoid food before bedtime - Stop eating 3-4 hours before you go to sleep
- Cut down on certain foods - Reduce rich, spicy or fatty foods in your diet
- Stop smoking – Aside from easing indigestion, this has many other health benefits
- Weight control - Lose excess weight and try to do more exercise
*Based on survey of 13,831 Heartburn and Indigestion Sufferers from 5 Countries
Gaviscon Double Action. For Heartburn and Indigestion. Always read the label.
Article published January 1, 2021